Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Down & Dirty – Clay (Play) Creation Days

This week’s adventures are taking place in the Pot Shop under the tutelage of Scotty Dillman, master of the wheel, professor of raku, brewer of beer, keeper of sourdough, appreciator of the blues and Eric Clapton, and Osceola, IN native. He’s also very patient and affirming.
Little known fact: Raku firings yield an 80-85% success rate. (that means that if we do 50 pieces, 10 of them are going to fracture during firing). L (Scotty denies this).

Today’s raku haiku:

Making my clay pot -
reluctant clay, clumsy hands.
God must be patient ….
Our first work was sculpting with raku clay. We first did pinching; then coil; then slab. We all got to try our hand at using these techniques (see Janai and Kate at right); some of the pre-fired objects we made are shown in the photo.










Next came the trials, tribulations, and rewards (hopefully) of throwing clay pots on the wheel, which I had never, ever done before (but my classmates had …). The steps to throwing a clay pot on a wheel: Wedge; Center; Seat; Cone up; Thumb push; Locked hand center; Thumb open; Finger widen; Compress rim; Pull up; Cut loose. Center upside down. Trim. Engage in conversation with the clay and call for Scotty between each step.







Today we were introduced to candlestick holders. The thing that I’ve learned (at my level of experience, at least) is that you start something and see what it turns into. I understand that more experienced people start making something that they have in mind and then see how it comes out. I suppose I was able to do that with a candlestick holder today. Life is good. And I have a lot more respect for the Great Potter who is still working on me.

More pottery tomorrow; firing will be this weekend. All LSTC pyromaniacs are welcome to come enjoy the heat.

Legs of clay are scriptural, you know.

No comments: