Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Arrival



Manda: It was three days on a trian to get to Grunewald Guild (GG) for me. Watching the land change from flat and brown to mountains and snow made me more anxious to get there. When I finally arrived in Wenatchee, I still had to get to the guild and wait for my ride. It 's the first day and already I see the benefits of intentional community. A woman named Liv is on her way from Holden Village to GG for her "out." She agreed to pick me up on the way, saving me a day at the bus station. On the ride there, we saw the new 6 ft of snow that the valley had just received. The road there was slippery and after a 180 degree spin, we arrived at GG unscatched. I'm so exhausted from anticipation that I'm taking a nap until Justin arrives. J-Term has begun.....

Justin: My travel was a bit shorter than Manda's. It was only a days air flight through Seattle to Wenatchee (the apple capital of the world). This was my first trip to the NW and it was beautiful with all the snow and such. I was pretty zonked when I arrived to the Guild as well, but was raring to go and get my hands messy with some art. The first evening was a night community meal of homemade pizza. Rich and Liz Caemmerer, the founders of the guild back in 1980, were our hosts and teachers. We finished the night at their home reading an epiphany poem as a group and enjoying a chocolate fondue.

No comments: